After at least 3 hours yesterday working on my Tiramisu, I have nothing to show.
I suppose I could post a photo of my abandoned muslins, but you can imagine a small pile of green fabric topped with some pieces of white-and-red stripe, both with lots of loose threads, right?
It’ll have to do, since I don’t have the guts to post pictures of myself in ill-fitting muslins.
Man, this has been frustrating. I’ve long thought of myself as a fairly solid intermediate when it comes to sewing. I’ve now come to the realization that drawstring bags, phone cozies, tangle pockets, and piles of quilts are not clothes. Shirts for Ian and clothes for Caitlyn are not wearable by me.
See, I’ve made a rubbed-off shirt for myself. It has no shaping beyond what the knit fabric provides. I’ve made several long, full skirts; two are elastic/drawstring at the waist and, one, if I’m going to be honest with myself, could stand to be taken in quite a bit. Beyond these, I haven’t sewn clothes for me since, what, middle school? Certainly nothing that has curves.
Starting my Wardrobe Improvement Project with the Tiramisu may have been biting off a bit much. Bias cut, knit, semi-fitted in effect if not in actuality.
Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think the problem here is the pattern. And StephC has been more than generous with her time and knowledge over at the sewalong. This is all about me assuming that I knew more than I did, both about sewing clothes and about what fits me.
In case anyone is interested in the details:
For the green muslin, I started with size 35B for the bodice. As I mentioned earlier, I think that “B” was my first mistake. I moved the center so the overlap in the bodice was tighter, took inches off the sides, moved the midriff up, and raised (lowered?) the shoulder seams. After taking off so much, I cut a new bodice with size 35A. I’m pretty sure this is where I should have started, if I’d understood the guidelines for choosing A’s vs. B’s correctly.
The new size was better, but not right yet. The midriff seam was too low. So I pulled out the basting stitches, trimmed a half-inch off the bottom of the bodice and re-sewed the seam. It still seemed too big, with the shoulder seams slipping just a bit toward the back. So now I’m trying the 30D and crossing my fingers that there’s enough ease in the pattern and my fabric that this will work, despite the finished bust measurement (according to the pattern piece) being two inches smaller than I am. Of course, I’m working with bits and pieces of fabric from my “knits” drawer, and what I’m using now is a slightly different weight than the green I started with or the burgundy I hope to finish with.
The good news here is that I’m learning things. Like the importance of having muslin-able fabric on hand. That I shouldn’t start muslining thinking that I’ll end up with a “bonus” wearable muslin. And that fit is trickier than I thought. With any luck, though, when I’m done, I’ll know how to make all the Tiramisus I might want without any fuss, and I’ll have some making-things-fit ideas I can translate to other patterns/projects.
Right now, though, I’m just frustrated.